For details on baptisms, weddings and funerals please go to our Life Events page.
There are a wide variety of weekly services to allow us to worship God in a number of different ways.
The Eucharist (Communion) is at the heart of most of our worship services throughout the year. These are led by one of our ordained clergy team or by one of the ministers helping us our whilst we are without a Vicar. However, once a month there is a morning service without communion, led by one of our Readers or our Authorised Lay Minister (ALM). We believe that preaching is vitally important and you can find a selection of recent sermons and ‘talks’ in our Latest Sermons page.
On the last Sunday evening of each month we have an informal praise service led by Nigel, our ALM. Roughly once a quarter we have a more informal Cafe Church on a Sunday morning, which meets in the Church Hall. These allow room for discussion on matters of faith over a coffee and croissant.
In addition, we have around 4 Parade services a year for our uniformed groups. Please see below for more information.
Please go to our calendar for details, since there is some variation week-to-week and as we come out of lock-down, but our worship services are basically as follows:
- 8.30am: This lasts around 30 minutes and features Communion. This is followed by a chance to chat over a brew. Currently this service takes place every 3rd Sunday.
- 10.30am: our main service (with hymns, prayers, a sermon and Communion) in the church. This is normally just over an hour in length, depending on who is doing the sermon! We have a choir to help lead the singing. There are other activities for children during the service but everyone is together for the start and finish. The service is followed by refreshments.
- On the 3rd Sunday of each month we have a ‘Service of the Word’ at 10.30am which is like our main service but without Communion.
- If there is a 5th Sunday in the month then we have a joint service with Christ Church, alternating venues.
- We have ‘Cafe Church’ about once a quarter. This is more interactive, helping us to explore ideas about God and discuss areas of faith together in ways not normally possible in our usual format. This meets in the Hall.
- We also join with Christ Church for informal Praise services on a Sunday evening at 7.00pm, on the last Sunday of every month. Again we alternate venues for this.
Wednesdays: 10.00am – Communion in the church, followed by refreshments.
Thursdays: 7.30pm – Communion in the Lady Chapel, which is on the left hand side of the church.
Parade Services: the young people from our uniformed groups join us on Mothering Sunday, Harvest and Remembrance Sunday. They have Christingle, normally at the start of Advent, on either a Monday or Wednesday. They also meet mid-week at one other point during the year.
Throughout the seasons of the church year you will find lots of variety in word and mood. We use Common Worship for most services and sing from Hymns Old & New. We normally have an organist but every now and then we’ll use music CD’s – so be prepared for anything!
Activities at St John with St Mark
The hall is hired out for many activities including dance classes, pilates, choir, painting groups etc. We also have a range of church groups to suit most ages:
- Monday: Knit & Natter in the afternoon. Beavers & Cubs in the evening; Once a month we have ‘Men of the Benefice’ which normally means a trip to the pub…
- Wednesday: Rainbows & Brownies in the evening; once a month we have an ‘Open Group’ for both visiting and homegrown speakers on pretty much anything you can imagine
- Saturday: once a month, usually the first Saturday, some of us will go for a walk, often 9 or 10 miles. The picture below is from our Benefice boundary walk which was a little longer…
- ‘Women out Together’ meet when and where the mood takes us and often that means going out to a restaurant or theatre.
- Plus we have book fairs, coffee mornings, afternoon teas, pantomimes, musical reviews and dances.
- We also have Prayer meetings, Bible studies and Retreats. For more information on these please go to our Reflect page.
Please keep your eye on the Home page & calendar for publicity of particular events.
Please go to our ‘about’ page to find out more about us.