At the heart
The Eucharist (Communion) is at the heart of most of our worship throughout the year. It’s where we remember what Jesus did for us. In addition, we have around 5 Parade services, some of which are during the week rather than a Sunday. And roughly once a quarter we have a more informal Cafe Church, which meets in the Church Hall.
Please go to our calendar for details, since there is some variation week-to-week, but our worship services are basically as follows:
- 8.30am: This lasts around 30 minutes and features Communion in the Barritt Room (the old Library) which is accessed from the Hall. This is followed by a chance to chat over a brew.
- 10.30am: our main service (with hymns, prayers, a sermon and Communion) in the church. This is normally just over an hour in length, depending on who is doing the sermon! We have a choir to help lead the singing. There’s a creche for under 5’s and ‘Jesus and Me’ for the older children during the service. Everyone is together for the start and finish. The service is followed by refreshments in the Hall.
- On the 3rd Sunday of each month we now have a ‘Service of the Word’ at 10.30am which is like our main service but without Communion.
- If there is a 5th Sunday in the month then we have a joint service with Christ Church, alternating venues.
- We have ‘Cafe Church’ about once a quarter. This is more interactive, helping us to explore ideas about God and discuss areas of faith together in ways not normally possible in our usual format. This meets in the Hall.
- We also join with Christ Church for informal Praise services on a Sunday evening at 7.00pm, normally on the last Sunday of the month.
Wednesdays: 10.00am – Communion in the church, followed by refreshments in the Hall.
Thursdays: 7.30pm – Communion in the Lady Chapel.
Parade Services: the young people from our uniformed groups join us on Mothering Sunday, Harvest and Remembrance Sunday. They have Christingle, normally at the start of Advent, on either a Monday or Wednesday. They also meet mid-week at one other point during the year.
You can join the Vicar for Evening Prayer at 5.00pm in the Church every day, Monday through to Thursday (except Bank Holidays and August when clergy give God some time off!). Or come with a small team each month as we take church to the community at Burrswood House and Hamilton House.
Throughout the seasons of the church year you will find lots of variety in word and mood. We use Common Worship for most services and sing from Hymns Old & New. We have a rota of different organists who play for us through the month.
Sometimes we use keyboard rather than organ and every now and then we’ll use music CD’s if no musicians are available – so be prepared for anything!
Please go to our ‘about’ page to find out more about us.