St John with St Mark’s is an Anglican church in Bury, Lancashire. We’re to the north of the town centre, just off Walmersley Road. As a church family we enjoy worshipping together and learning about Jesus – but we like socialising too! That’s some of us in the picture above before having lunch together one Sunday.
Some events in life such as weddings and baptisms may bring you to church for the first time in many years. So we try our best to be welcoming and to ensure that your visit is a happy and memorable one.
We have close links with St John with St Mark Church of England Primary School and Chesham Primary School. Church members are on the Board of Governors and our ministry team help lead some of the school assemblies. We also take church out to the community, holding services in some of our local care homes.
Me, thee and t’others
Along with our close neighbours at Christ Church Walmersley we are under the care of the Reverend Dave Thompson, who can be contacted on 0161 797 7652. Whenever you see us talk about a ‘benefice’ on this site we’re referring to St John with St Mark and Christ Church together.
Our church family is made up of people of all ages and all walks of life. Our aim is to know, grow and show the love of God. So there are 5 key areas that we focus on:
- Telling the good news of the Kingdom of God
- Teaching Christian believers to grow in their faith
- Tending to those in any kind of need
- Transforming the world into a Christ-like society
- Treasuring all of God’s creation
This year we’re also particularly looking at the ‘Setting God’s People Free‘ report and what it means for us all to ‘be church’ during the week.
We hope that this website helps you to get to know us better and that you’ll decide to come along to one of our services or to one of our many activities during the week.
What we do
In addition, we have a range of activities to suit most ages:
- Monday: Craft group in the afternoon; Beavers & Cubs in the evening; Once a month we have ‘Men of the Benefice’ which normally means a trip to the pub…
- Tuesday: Knit & Natter in the afternoon
- Wednesday: Rainbows & Brownies in the evening; once a month we have an ‘Open Group’ for both visiting and homegrown speakers on pretty much anything you can imagine
- Thursday: ABC Mother & Toddler group
- Saturday: once a month some of us will go for a walk, usually 9 or 10 miles
- ‘Girls out Alone’ meet when and where the mood takes us and often that means going out to a restaurant or theatre
- Plus we have book fairs, coffee mornings, afternoon teas, pantomimes, musical reviews, buffet dances, a Traidcraft fairtrade stall…
Please keep your eye on the Home page & calendar for publicity of particular events. In addition our hall is widely used by the local community. It is hired to a number of outside groups and organisations as well as for private parties.
Want to know more?
If you would like to know more then please come and meet us. Our main service is at 10.30am on a Sunday morning. That’s not always convenient for everyone and we have many others to chose from. For a complete list please look on our ‘worship’ page. You can take a look at our ‘calendar’ page for activities and services in the coming weeks.
If you’d like to talk with our ministry team then please call in at the Parish Office in the church hall on Parkinson Street any Wednesday between 6.30pm and 7.00pm.
If you can’t get there then please complete the Contact Form and a member of the team will get back in touch very shortly.
Church in Bury
We’re just one church in Bury. To find out more about the wider Church of England of which we’re part then please follow this link.