Bible readings for March 2019
Here are the Bible readings that we will be using in church during March. We’re in the run-up to Easter and there are some wonderful, familiar passages to rediscover.
So if you can’t be with us or if you want to read the passages in advance, then here you go:
- March 3, Next before Lent: Exodus 34:29-35; 2 Corinthians 3:12-4:2; Luke 9:28-43
- March 6, Ash Wednesday: Isaiah 58:1-12; 2 Corinthians 5:20b – 6:10; John 8:1-11
- March 10, First Sunday of Lent: Deuteronomy 26:1-11; Romans 10:8b – 13; Luke 4:1-13
- March 17, Second Sunday of Lent: Genesis 15:1-12,17-18; Philippians 3:17- 4:1; Luke 13:31-35
- March 24, Third Sunday of Lent: Isaiah 55:1-9; 1 Corinthians 10:1-13; Luke 13:1-9
- March 25, the Annunciation: Isaiah 7:10-14; Hebrews 10:4-10; Luke 1:26-38
- March 31, Mothering Sunday: Exodus 2:1-10; 2 Corinthians 1:3-7; Luke 2:33-35
If you don’t have access to a Bible then please follow this link to the Vanderbilt Divinity Library. Once there, press on the scripture reference that you want to read. It’s not always an exact match but most weeks are similar!
Gabriel breaks the news to Mary – Luke 1:26-38
In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary.
And he came to her and said, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.” But she was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be.
The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”
Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I am a virgin?”
The angel said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be holy; he will be called Son of God. And now, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son; and this is the sixth month for her who was said to be barren. For nothing will be impossible with God.”
Then Mary said, “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.” Then the angel departed from her.