July 2023 Bible readings
Here are the July 2023 Bible readings which we’ll be using in church. Please make use of these readings and reflect on what they might be saying to you.
We’re now in a long period of what the church calls Ordinary Time. There are no seasons like Advent or Lent. Preachers aren’t obliged to stick with the Lectionary during this time but most of ours do. July sees a selection of readings from different parts of the Old Testament, a trip through Romans and continuing with the Gospel of Matthew.
- July 2 – 4th after Trinity: Jeremiah 28:5-9; Romans 6:12-end; Matthew 10:40-end;
- July 9 – 5th after Trinity: Zechariah 9:9-12; Romans 7:15-25a; Matthew 11:16-19, 25-end;
- July 16 – 6th after Trinity: Isaiah 55:10-13; Romans 8:1-11; Matthew 13:1-9; 18-23;
- July 23 – 7th after Trinity: Wisdom of Solomon 12:13, 16-19 or Isaiah 44:6-8; Romans 8:12-25; Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43;
- July 30 – 8th after Trinity: 1 Kings 3:5-12; Romans 8:26-end; Matthew 13:31-33, 44-52;
If you don’t have access to a Bible, then please follow this link to the Vanderbilt Divinity Library. It’s not always the same but it’s normally pretty close!
Amongst the July 2023 Bible Readings we have this passage from Matthew 10…
Even a cup of cold water…
Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.
Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple — truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward.