October 2023 Bible readings
Here are the October 2023 Bible readings which we’ll be using in our churches. Please make use of these readings and reflect on what they might be saying to you.
Our readings this month include some tricksy questions from chief priests and elders, stories about vineyards and banquets, being called by name – and people standing all morning to hear scripture being read.
- Oct 1 – Trinity 17: Ezekiel 18:1-4,25-32; Philippians 2:1-13; Matthew 21:23-32;
- Oct 8 – Harvest: Deuteronomy 8:7-18 or 28:1-14; 2 Corinthians 9:6-end; Luke 12:16-30 or 17:11-19;
- Oct 15 – Trinity 19: Isaiah 25:1-9; Philippians 4:1-9; Matthew 22:1-14;
- Oct 22 – Trinity 20: Isaiah 45:1-7; 1 Thessalonians 1:1-10; Matthew 22:15-22;
- Oct 29 – Bible Sunday: Nehemiah 8:1-4a, 8-12; Colossians 3:12-17; Matthew 24:30-35;
If you don’t have access to a Bible, then please follow this link to the Vanderbilt Divinity Library. It’s not always the same but it’s normally pretty close!
The October 2023 Bible readings include these wise words from Colossians 3:12-17
As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.