Bible readings for September 2019
Here are the Bible readings for September 2019 which we’ll be using in church. September! How did we get to September already? If you want to read up in advance – or if you can’t be with us and want to follow the same readings – then here you go!
The scriptures this month include God’s promises to the children of Israel made in Deuteronomy and a selection of parables told by Jesus:
- September 1st – 11th after Trinity: Proverbs 25:6-7; Hebrews 13:1-8, 15-16; Luke 14:1,7-14
- September 8th – 12th after Trinity: Deuteronomy 30:15-end; Philemon 1-21; Luke 14:25-33
- September 15th – 13th after Trinity: Exodus 32:7-14; 1 Timothy 1:12-17; Luke 15:1-10
- September 22nd – 14th after Trinity: Amos 8:4-7; 1 Timothy 2:1-7; Luke 16:1-13
- September 29th – 15th after Trinity: Amos 6:1a, 4-7; 1 Timothy 6:6-19; Luke 16:19-31... or….
- September 29th – Michael and All Angels: Genesis 28:10-17; Revelation 12:7-12; John 1:47-end
If you don’t have access to a Bible then please follow this link to the Vanderbilt Divinity Library to see the readings on-line. It doesn’t always match up but it shouldn’t be too far off!
Luke 15: The parable of the lost sheep and the lost coin
Now all the tax collectors and sinners were coming near to listen to him. And the Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, “This fellow welcomes sinners and eats with them.”
So he told them this parable: “Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it?
When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and rejoices. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’
Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.
“Or what woman having ten silver coins, if she loses one of them, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.’
Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
[For Bible readings in August please press here. For more about St John and St Mark’s Church Bury please follow this link]